Using JDBC to connect to an external database

  • From: Dan Peacock <danp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 16:20:23 -0500

Ok, I'm probably going to kick a hornets nest here, so please forgive me.

I was wondering, why isn't there a way to use a jdbc driver from within the Oracle database to connect to an external database like, oh say, MySQL rather than using the ODBC gateway? I know that the ODBC gateway is an option (allegedly since I've not gotten it to work yet), but it strikes me as odd why, now that Oracle has control over such things, that it's not possible to use a JDBC driver in the database to get external data.

Here's where this is all coming from:

I've got an application that I want to integrate data from a third-party database (in this case a MySQL database) that I am contractually prohibited from pulling over all at once (long story). I just want to be able to join the external MySQL table just like it were a regular table. I understand the odbc gateway does this, but there are issues with performance.

--
Dan Peacock
Enterprise Data Architect

Dare something great