Using FusionIO for Oracle datafile storage

  • From: Paresh Yadav <yparesh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 00:40:56 -0400

I am planning to use fusionIO for a database that requires high random read
IOPS (100,000+ IOPS). I had some questions if you can provide some guidance
and also point me to some good material.

   - If we decide to put our data (tablespaces/data files) on FusionIO do
   we need to replicate it to a regular hard drive based storage? I know
   fusionIO is nonvolatile memory but is it reliable (enough) to store data on
   it for the long term? Do we need to replicate? If yes what did you use?
   Will ASM with Normal redundancy diskgroups (one failuregroup on fusionIO
   and other on regular hard drives) a possible option?
   - If we decide to use fusion IO to store only "hot" data i.e. last 90
   days of data (500 GB+) and rotate the data by moving "oldest day" out and
   "latest day" in logic, we will incur the read-erase-write overhead with
   fusionIO. We can live with that. My question is, is there any limitation on
   how many such  "read-erase-write" cycles  fusionIO memory can handle before
   the performance (IOPS)  degrades and/or the memory becomes unreliable? I am
   under the impression that this will happen with any SSD storage but I might
   be mistaken.
   - With fusionIO, do we need to reserve part of the storage capacity to
   work around read-erase-write overhead or fusionIO does it internally and we
   get to use the entire advertised storage capacity?
   - Am I on the right track!? ;)
   - Any other thing that I should watch out for?

--
Thanks
Paresh