Re: Using DD to Read Data from Oracle Datafiles

  • From: "Ghassan Salem" <salem.ghassan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 17:40:39 +0100

Kevin,
Oracle counts on support to make the client declare the licences they use.
If you're in production and you really care about your data you would want
support for your DB, and hence have to purchase the license.

That does not mean that a big part of Oracle clients does not 'cheat', I
mean they use more licenses than they pay for (usually on dev or test
machines).

But your point is still valid: Neither IBM nor MS will let you download a
really usefull copy of their software (DB ones, I mean) without paying for
the licence. Oracle does, and they do not seem to be bothered by the
undisclosed use.

The end of it, as you said, is that paying customers pay for all (themselves
and cheaters).

On 2/9/07, Kevin Closson <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

And in every IT department I have ever worked in theft has been
rampant, obviously IT people tend not to call not paying license fees
for software, or accounting correctly for numbers of copies of
software installed,

...great point Niall! And I'll tell you who gets ripped off as
collateral damage: good paying customers.  The fact that Oracle permits
downloads of their database to run on freely downloadable OS platforms
astounds me. If only there was a way to discern how many production
Oracle deployments are running on Linux unlicensed throughout.