Re: Using DD to Read Data from Oracle Datafiles

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 14:39:29 +0000

On 2/9/07, Michael Haddon <m.haddon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Very well put Tim, the most ethical people I have run into are in IT, while
it's normally the executive management that schemes to deceive. I have never
read about 'that sysadmin/dba that used their access to cheat the company
and it's employees for their own benefit'.

I'm more than a little uncomfortable with this sort of thought, not
least of course because it doesn't exactly chime with my own
experience, but also because it seems to me that there is a spread of
ethical people across the spectrum in all professions, for that matter
in all political parties all religious groupings and so on.

It is true that frauds are perpetrated on companies, by and large, by
people in reasonably senior management positions. This points more I
think to opportunity and ability than to an innate difference between
them and IT (or HR or whatever) staff.

And in every IT department I have ever worked in theft has been
rampant, obviously IT people tend not to call not paying license fees
for software, or accounting correctly for numbers of copies of
software installed, ripping music to CD/MP3 and so on theft, or to
think of it as unethical, but it is. I'm afraid my observation is that
people in all walks of life tend to do things they think that they can
get away with (and that hurt corporations and not identifiable people
by preference) and tell themselves that it's OK really.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA