Using DD to Read Data from Oracle Datafiles

  • From: Naqi Mirza <naqimirza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 00:15:37 -0800 (PST)

Hi,
I am using dd to read data out of oracle datafiles from an oracle 9i database
on solaris. I am using the following command:

dd if=/location_to_oracle_datafile_and_file_name.DBF bs=8192 skip=11764 count=8
| strings

I have a table called DEPT, querying dba_extents, I see that its block_id is
11764. It also have 8 blocks assigned to it. Now using the above, I get the
following output:

OPERATIONS
BOSTON,
SALES
CHICAGO,
RESEARCH
DALLAS,
ACCOUNTING
NEW YORK

Whats missing from here is numeric values. Since I am piping the output to
strings , strings will not print out numerics. Does anyone know how i can use
the method above to successfully read an entire table and print out all its
comments.
Thanks.

The all-new Yahoo! Mail goes wherever you go - free your email address from
your Internet provider. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html