Re: Using DBCA to clone database structure, hangs at 60%

  • From: "Don Seiler" <don@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "John Hallas" <john.hallas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 09:45:10 -0500

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 3:48 AM, John Hallas <john.hallas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My memory on this is very hazy but I had a very similar problem on a
> number of servers and the end result was how my X-term connection was
> set up.
>
> I was using XMing and the most frustrating thing was that I got around
> 50% through the activity (I think it was an EM repository install) when
> it hung.

Well I get the same results when using DBCA on my workstation and
connecting to the existing instance over SQL*Net as I do when I vnc in
and run DBCA locally on that server.  This leaves me fairly convinced
that the X setup (xterms, display forwarding) isn't at fault.

> The answer was to connect to the console using ILO. Not exactly sure
> what was different

I doubt I'd have access to the ILO login.

To be specific, what I want to do in the end is generate the set of
SQL scripts to create an instance with the same Oracle features and
parameters enabled.  I then planned to edit those scripts to taste.
Once we'd have the new instance running, we'd bring data over via
transportable tablespaces.

I'm also open to suggestions for alternative methods of generating
those scripts.

--
Don Seiler
http://seilerwerks.wordpress.com