Using Apex display files

  • From: "Kenneth Naim" <kennethnaim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 01:15:18 -0400

Hi All,

I am trying to help a client out, they want a web page that will allow a
user to show data about a person and display any documents associated with
them. Being a DBA and not a web developer I thought oracle apex would be a
good solution since it had built in login and was supposed to be simple.
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be simple enough for me.

I created an interactive report page that shows the data and allows users to
see the documents associated with the person. This report also has the path
to file, although I can't get the file to display.

Oracle 11.2.0.4, Apex 5.0.0.31, test system is on windows 7, final version
will be windows but not sure of the version.

1. Is it better to load all 200k files (pdf, jpeg, tiff etc., about
60g total - average size 300k each ) into the database as blobs and display
them from the database? Or is it better to leave them on the file system? is
there a way to bulk load all 200k files? I searched and could find a
document that was clear guide to doing so, anything I found assumed too much
prior apex knowledge.

2. How would I display the file if stored as a blob?

3. How does Apex recognize the file to be able to display it? I tried
using http://servername/drive/path/file1.pdf but all i get is a 404 error. I
assume there has to be some configuration so apex knows which directory they
are in and to server.

Thank you in advance,

Ken