Urgent: db file sequential read - wait

  • From: Stefan Jahnke <Stefan.Jahnke@xxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle DBA List (E-Mail)" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 19:33:41 +0200

Hi list

I have a session waiting forever on a "db file sequential read" wait event
during a mass delete.
The statement looks like this:

DELETE
  FROM tcdhispersversnr a
 WHERE EXISTS
         (SELECT idvistamaster
            FROM tcdhispersversnr b
           WHERE b.pkfk          =  a.pkfk
             AND b.idvistamaster =  a.idvistamaster
             AND a.idvistadetail IS NULL
             AND b.idvistadetail IS NOT NULL
             AND (
                   (CAST(A.ZHI_SYSEINDAT AS TIMESTAMP(0)) >=
CAST(B.ZHI_SYSEINDAT AS TIMESTAMP(0))
                    AND
                    CAST(A.ZHI_SYSEINDAT AS TIMESTAMP(0)) <
CAST(B.ZHI_SYSERSDAT AS TIMESTAMP(0)))
                   OR
                   (CAST(B.ZHI_SYSEINDAT AS TIMESTAMP(0)) >=
CAST(A.ZHI_SYSEINDAT AS TIMESTAMP(0))
                    AND
                    CAST(B.ZHI_SYSEINDAT AS TIMESTAMP(0)) <
CAST(A.ZHI_SYSERSDAT AS TIMESTAMP(0)))
                 )
             AND (
                   (A.ZHI_SYSGUADAT >= B.ZHI_SYSGUADAT
                    AND
                    A.ZHI_SYSGUADAT <  B.ZHI_SYSGUBDAT)
                   OR
                   (B.ZHI_SYSGUADAT >= A.ZHI_SYSGUADAT
                    AND
                    B.ZHI_SYSGUADAT <  A.ZHI_SYSGUBDAT)
                 )
         )

The block the session is waiting for belongs to an index on table
tcdhispersversnr. I was thinking it might be a problem that the index is
updated by the delete part of the statement while the sub-select part of the
statement uses the index. Both the table in the delete-part and the table
being queried in the sub-select are the same.
NOTHING else is happening on this machine. No locks or latches or memory or
undo problems whatsoever.
Anybody any idea what might cause that problem?

At totally frustrated yours,
Stefan