Upgrade from 11.2.0.4 to 12.1.0.2 using EM12c failed

  • From: "Schauss, Peter (ESS)" <peter.schauss@xxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 19:27:35 +0000

My environment: 64 bit Linux release 6.7
Oracle 11.2.0.4 going to 12.1.0.2

I was able to upgrade my QA copy (running on my QA database server) using EM12c.

When I tried the same thing in production it failed with :

Unexpected error encountered in catconInit; exiting

Oracle support said that I should look for a file called glogin.sql in
$ORACLE_HOME/sqlplus/admin and rename it. This file has no executable sql
statements in it, only comments. Does this suggestion make sense? This is a
production environment so my ability to test is limited and, of course, the
error does not happen in QA.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Peter