Re: Update schema while new data is coming in

  • From: J Buchanan <oracle@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: don@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 13:07:18 -0500

On Nov 12, 2007, at 11:00 AM, Don Seiler wrote:

I haven't personally had the pleasure of playing with this, but isn't
this exactly the kind of thing that is used in RAC success
testimonials?  Being able to perform updates on one member of the
cluster at a time while the others handle the application traffic?

Dealing with the same situation here. But RAC isn't the solution - RAC provides a database via 2 or more servers... it provides nothing in terms of hot Application (not Oracle software) upgrades.

Depending on the requirements, products like Golden Gate can very easily handle hot application upgrades. Streams is another possibility but at considerable labor expense. Shareplex is another option.

Golden Gate seems to be the most versatile tool for the job.

thanks jason

Don.

On Nov 12, 2007 3:47 AM,  <Antje.Stejskal@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

we are having a web application that ist o be online availyble 7x24. We plan for the scenario that the application needs a software update (new tables ,
modified tables et. al.) Management and customer requires that the
application is still running while the upgrade goes on. How would you solve this, that you have one server with the old schema where new data is coming in, meanwhile another server is brought up to latest release. And data of
the old server (or delta of data) will be send to new server. We will
propably have 2 servers anyway because of the traffic.
Please help me with your ideas.

Regards
Antje Stejskal

Don Seiler