Re: Unwanted SQL Developer inverse connection storming

  • From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2013 09:49:01 -0600

On 09/04/2013 9:03 AM, Jeff Smith wrote:
> It happens once at startup, runs through your connection list. If you
> hit 'refresh' in the connection toolbar, it will do so again.
Thanks for that.  Very useful.
> So as a contract employee you might be assigned to multiple clients.
> You're afraid if you're doing work for clientA that SQL Developer will
> TNSPing clientB's instance - violating your agreement?
I'm afraid that the client's security department will see attempts to
connect/access 'foreign, non-approved' networks, causing me to be hauled
in front of a security commission for something I was not aware of.

> I imagine clientB would be on a different network/VPN though, and you'd
> never get to them anyway? Trying to imagine folks that have databases
> open on the internet or VPNs that span customer sites?
You are thinking in terms of technology, not in terms of business policy
and practice.  Policy does not need to make sense to US.  It only needs
to make sense to the PTBs (Power That Be), who sign our paycheque.

/Hans