Unwanted SQL Developer inverse connection storming

  • From: Martin Klier <usn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 17:31:02 +0200

Dear listers,

recently we noticed that the Oracle SQL Developer causes a kind of
unwanted "inverse" connection storm to all configured databases, when we
start the  SQL Developer. It's not restoring aborted connections or
stuff like that, all was quit before stopping the SQL dev., and
nevertheless each and every configured connection is "tested" at startup.

In my example, it's doing the following for all configured connections
(tested with version 3.2.20.09):

TNS connect:
(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=ww.xx.yy.zz)(PORT=1521))(CONNECT_DATA=(CID=(PROGRAM=null)(HOST=__jdbc__)(USER=null))(SERVICE_NAME=xyz)(CID=(PROGRAM=null)(HOST=__jdbc__)(USER=null))))
and gets back:
(DESCRIPTION=(TMP=)(VSNNUM=186647296)(ERR=12514)(ERROR_STACK=(ERROR=(CODE=12514)(EMFI=4))))

I'm having multiple problems with this behavior:
1.) it's useless, since the SQL dev does not display any information
about reachable/non-reachable databases. I simply can't see any benefit.
2.) it's waste of network resources
2.) it's most unwanted since your network can see what you have
configured (for example in a public WLAN, and in worst case a IDS might
feel like you are doing something nasty in the (for example, customer's)
network)

Does somebody know why they are doing this, and why are they doing it
THIS very way?

Thanks a lot in advance and best regards
Martin Klier
--
Usn's IT Blog for Linux, Oracle, Asterisk
http://www.usn-it.de