RE: Undocumented data dictionary views

  • From: J.Velikanovs@xxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 19:22:39 +0300

Boivin,
I think this is very different types of things.
One is C code, which is compiled, and no one have access to it source.
Then Oracle can introduce hidden parameters, which affect code behaviour.
Second - SQL code, which can be accessed normally. And easily dropped then
code goes to production. Is there any usefulness from view, which give
information about unrealized features?

Jurijs
9268222
http://otn.oracle.com/ocm/jvelikanovs.html

"Boivin, Patrice J" <BoivinP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
27.07.2004 13:07
Please respond to oracle-l

        To:     "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: Undocumented data dictionary views

Just curious.  Someone asked about an undocumented view that lists all the
errors and I followed the train of thought.

Oracle puts parameters that are in progress, or about to be desupported as
undocumented parameters.  Some of them are used by Technical Support I
think.

I was wondering if they do the same thing with data dictionary views, or
if
that is pretty much fixed and they introduce them all suddenly when a new
version is released.

They do introduce new views from version to version, I was thinking maybe
precursors of those might exist in the previous version.

Doesn't sound like it.

It makes sense that they wouldn't -- after all, I imagine there is a
(slight) performance hit involved in maintaining data dictionary views.
They probably lump them all into the next version's beta and test them
there
through their partners.

I know about the base tables and X$ tables.

Pat.