Re: Undo Retention of 5 days; anyone?

  • From: Mogens Nørgaard <mln@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 22:18:48 +0100

It's all about money. If support and upgrade rights are separate, then
upgrade money can be booked as license sales, which makes the company
look better. If they're bundled you can't, so all you have is a big
support revenue, which the market doesn't care about.

IBM unbundled in April 1999 and thus became bigger than Oracle in
license sales. 16th December that year Oracle did the same and became
bigger than IBM again in license sales.

Microsoft has always done it.

There are some customers that have very little use for Oracle Support.
They could include sites that run old, stable, predictable versions -.
we have customers even still paying for products that don't exist
anymore, not even on Metalink. Most should of course buy both if they
think it's worth their money.

Mogens