RE: UncompBkts: what is it? (reference to 10053 trace)

  • From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 09:32:08 -0700

As you may know, Oracle stores height balanced histograms in a "compressed"
form, omitting consecutive rows with the same value at the end point (Oracle 8
erroneously reported the number of rows in the histogram table as num_buckets in
the xx_tab_columns view). In the Oracle 10(.2 ?) 10053 trace, there are two
cases for UncompBkts:
For height balanced histograms (Histogram: HtBal) UncompBkts is identical to
buckets (#Bkts in the trace) and EndPtVals is the size of the "compressed"
histogram, i.e. the number of rows in the histogram table for that column. From
the difference you can gauge the number of popular values or the skew - could be
many popular values or one hugely popular value.
For frequency histograms (Histogram: Freq), UncompBkts is identical to the
number of rows of the table and EndPtVals is identical to the number of buckets
- and the number of distinct values of the column.

--
regards

Wolfgang Breitling
Oracle 7,8,8i,9i OCP DBA