Re: Unable to drop a datafile

  • From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 22:43:10 -0300

I may be wrong... but I don't think you're supposed to drop a datafile...
http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:515222144417

Yes, yes, I know, this is pre-10.2, but it's still a good guideline (and a
very interesting read).

Could you show us the "script" for the tablespace? (i.e. how many
datafiles, how big is each DF, storage clauses, etc)

if you are sure you won't need it, you might try alter database datafile
'xxx' offline drop; (syntax may differ) but if I remember correctly this
only works when you will drop the TBS afterwards... which  may not be what
you want.

Safest approach (unless EBS/SAP) is to move the objects to a new TBS and
then drop the old one. Or use TBS reorg to release space...

btw, if you are on ASM, bigfile is your friend!

oh, oh, also, check if you are using recycle bin. You didn't mention
whether you recently removed  tables or  not, but I'm taking a wild guess
and assuming you removed some data (tables, partitions, etc) and  you want
the  space back. If you simply *DELETED* data from a table/partition, make
sure you shrink them afterwards so the extents are marked as free. IF you
are using  recyclebin, try purging it.

hth
Alan.-