Re: UTL FILE

  • From: Bill Ferguson <wbfergus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kennaim@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 06:24:53 -0600

Ken,

I'm on a Windows box also (actually several). In my case, I have some
dynamic PL/SQL routines the users can run, where I need to issue OS
commands on-the-fly (so the scheduler wouldn't work). I'm basically
generating KML (Google Earth files) on the fly from the database
server, then I need to move them over to a directory on my web server
so the user can get them.

What I stumbled across was the following little java stored procedure:
http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/8i/ShellCommandsFromPLSQL.php

I think this version was written for back in the 8i days, but I'm on
11 now and it still works. Starting with version 11 though, I did
experience some errors that turned out to be related to a tightened up
Oracle security model.

In order for this to run in 11g (at least under Windows), you must set
the database service and the listener service to run as a named user
account. Running these as the default local system account won't work,
since the local system account doesn't know about the environment
variables, drive mappings, etc. that a named user account would.

So other than the new security restriction with 11 on Windows, it's
fairly simple. All the instructions are on the web page.

--
-- Bill Ferguson