I would like to thank everyone that responded to this e-mail. I believe that having Standard invalid then trying to run utlrp.sql caused core dumps and eventually led to the entire server being hung maybe as I was in some kind of a loop. Once I was able to get access to the machine and cycle the server I was able to try some things which was a combination of the advice I got from you all. This is what worked: 1-I brought the database up in restricted mode 2-I tried to run catalog.sql but it hung 3-I compiled the Standard package and package body which were there but not validated. 4-I commented out the @Standard.sql so the Standard package would not get recreated or invalidated 5-I ran the rest of catalog.sql 6-I ran catproc.sql 7-I ran utlrp.sql (to validate just invalid objects). It all worked and didn't take long to do once I got access to the server - that was the longest part. :) Thanks very much for the help. Paula --------------------------------- Get your own web address for just $1.99/1st yr. We'll help. Yahoo! Small Business.