Re: UNIX file system read/write locks

  • From: "LS Cheng" <exriscer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tanel Poder" <tanel.poder.003@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 15:45:08 +0200

Hi Tanel

Thanks for the reply.

For Solaris 8, I think from update 3 there is some workaround for this
problem.

I was wondering because I have some customers who have a mount point per
database, I am not sure for a busy database they would run into I/O
problems?

Thanks

On 9/11/06, Tanel Poder <tanel.poder.003@xxxxxxx> wrote:

The file level write locks still apply to many filesystems, even the ones which support direct IO.

However, some vendors have introducted concurrent direct IO option into
their filesystems.
Solaris has CIO since some update of Solaris 8.
I've used CIO option on AIX 5.2 as well.

I haven't heard about CIO for Linux so I guess they don't have it.

Also, you have to manually enable concurrent IO in filesystem mount
options in order to use it.

For Oracle 9.2 on AIX CIO stuff, read this article:

http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/aix/whitepapers/db_perf_aix.pdf

Tanel.