Tx lock by SMON on v$lock

  • From: Giovanni Cuccu <gcuccu@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 17:32:06 +0100

Hi all,
        today I faced a strange (at least for me) problem.I had to delete 30k
row from a table containing long raw. the delete (which was espressed as
delete from t where id in (select id from t1)) was running very slow. I
cancelled it and re-run under trace. After waiting for half an hour I
stopped it, I downloaded the trc file and I analyzed it.
The file showed enormous waits on enqueue. After issuing some query to
v$lock and similia I found my session was waiting for a tx lock which
was held by session 5 (SMON in my system). This situation was true even
after retrying the same operation after a db restart.
Now my question is what SMON was supposed to do?
Recovery?
and if the preceding answer was yes does SMON go on with recovery after both
1)shutdown abort
2) startup
(I was expecting that before a startup of the db SMON did a complete
recovery)
Thanks in advance
        Giovanni

P.S. now the TX lock is not anymore on the v$lock and the query is running

Giovanni Cuccu
Sw Engineer@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dianoema S.p.A.
Via de' Carracci 93 40131 Bologna