Re: Turn Audit to Monitor Logins

  • From: Yong Huang <yong321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 12:32:55 -0800 (PST)

Nagaraj,

You just need to set audit_trail and type "audit session". The way to find who
tried to login multiple times unsuccessfully causing an account to be locked is
to see returncode of dba_audit_session or dba_audit_trail changing from
multiple 1017's to 28000. See
http://yong321.freeshell.org/oranotes/AuditLogMoveAndQuery.txt
beginning from "Example: Find who attempted 5 times to login to APPUSER and
caused the account to be locked:"

Dba_audit_session is an extracted version of dba_audit_trail. I like the latter
because the additional columns sometimes satisfy my curiosity. For instance,
from the text in comment_text column, you can get the client side port which
helps you pinpoint the exact line in listener.log.

As you can imagine, implementing FAILED_LOGIN_ATTEMPTS in profile is best done
to accounts an app server logins, not humans that don't remember the password
well (unless the impact is limited to that person alone).

Yong Huang