Re: Tuning Update query

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2021 10:37:34 -0400

Yeah, you're right, on both counts. I only checked the plan and saw a monster full table scan of 8G rows, without examining the SQL itself in detail. That being an update, I assumed that there is a condition on the table. Assumption is the mother of all foul-ups. Without a condition on the GTT that should indeed be a MERGE or INSERT. Index wouldn't help.

On 5/3/21 3:50 AM, Lothar Flatz wrote:

This update Statement should be rewritten into a merge statement. You would not want to index GTT_TAB, There is not even a filter criteria on that table.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant