Trying to understand an ASM discrepancy

  • From: "William Wagman" <wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 17:06:25 -0700

Greetings,

I am looking at a two node rac cluster running on 32-bit RHEL4, oracle
10.2.0.3.0 SE and am puzzled by a discrepancy in the description of the
library and system as listed in the V$ASM_DISK view in the ASM instance.
The ASM and RDBMS are installed in separate homes. On node 1 I see the
following...

[root@spenser init.d]# ./oracleasm listdisks
VOL1
VOL2
VOL3

SQL> select library,path from v$asm_disk order by path;
LIBRARY           PATH
System            /dev/raw/raw1
System            /dev/raw/raw10
System            /dev/raw/raw2
System            /dev/raw/raw3
System            /dev/raw/raw5
System            /dev/raw/raw6
System            /dev/raw/raw7
System            /dev/raw/raw8
System            /dev/raw/raw9

On node 2 I see the following...

[root@hawk init.d]# ./oracleasm listdisks
VOL1
VOL2
VOL3

SQL> select library,path from v$asm_disk order by path;

LIBRARY           PATH
---------------------------
System            /dev/raw/raw1
System            /dev/raw/raw10
System            /dev/raw/raw2
System            /dev/raw/raw3
System            /dev/raw/raw5
System            /dev/raw/raw6
System            /dev/raw/raw7
System            /dev/raw/raw8
System            /dev/raw/raw9
ASM Library - Generic Linux, version 2.0.2 (KABI_V2)
ORCL:VOL1
ASM Library - Generic Linux, version 2.0.2 (KABI_V2)
ORCL:VOL2
ASM Library - Generic Linux, version 2.0.2 (KABI_V2)
ORCL:VOL3

As I understand it when the library is listed as system it means that
the asm_diskstring parameter is not set correctly. The puzzling thing is
that in the instance on each node it is set to null. The asm_diskgroup
parameter is set the same on each node, 'ASMGRP1, ASMGRP2'. I don't
understand what might have caused these to differ. If anyone can assist
I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis