RE: Training for Oracle Performance tuning - Method-R is easy

  • From: "Kerber, Andrew W." <Andrew.Kerber@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Ted Coyle" <Ted.Coyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx, fmhabash@xxxxxxxxx, sunil.kanderi@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 10:41:42 -0500

Well, there you go.  By your answer, you make my point.  It's a matter
of philosophy. Not everyplace I work requires, or even expects, all
changes to return measurable value to the business.  The expectation is
that by keeping an eye on performance, and continuously improving where
possible, we increase our capacity and ability.  Its not at all unusual
for me to make a change that will return no measurable improvement right
now, but at some future date, should we need it, that extra unused
capacity will be available.

In some environments, where staffing is low and you are right at the
edge of capacity all the time, you may not have time to work that way.