Re: Trace Analyzer - Wow

  • From: troach@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: "Cary Millsap" <cary.millsap@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 04:19:43 +0000

Speaking of wait time. I am in Florida for the thanksgiving holiday and I went
to eat at a hole in the wall place. On the wall it said "burger wait time: 1
1/2 beers" :).

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 22:15:11
To: <dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <troach@xxxxxxxxx>; <ChrisDavid.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>;
oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Trace Analyzer - Wow

Method R Profiler also reports on bind variable substitution values. It
doesn't report on *all* the values that were used, only the sets of
substitution values that drive the best-case and worst-case performance for
a given statement. The goal is that the worst-case substitution value set
shows you the problem you need to work on first, and the best-case
substitution value set shows you how well the statement should be able to
perform.

Trace analyzer is much nicer than tkprof, but it still doesn't meet the
principal design criterion of the Method R Profiler, which is to illuminate
where *all* your business task's response time has gone, whether your
problem is inefficient SQL or something else (which these days it often is).
There are several types of response time problems that tkprof and trcanlzr
don't go very far in helping you solve. The Method R Profiler has a *
considerable* speed advantage over trcanlzr as well.

For more information, see http://method-r.com/software/profiler, as Dan
previously noted.

A former colleague at Hotsos has asked me to bring to your attention that
they also sell licenses for our Method R Profiler under the Hotsos Profiler
brand name. I am no longer affiliated with Hotsos, so I hope that if you're
interested in the product, you'll contact me directly.

Cary Millsap
Method R Corporation
http://method-r.com
http://carymillsap.blogspot.com