RE: Top DBA needed in San Jose, CA

  • From: Iggy Fernandez <iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "mckaydim@xxxxxxxxxxx" <mckaydim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 07:38:42 -0700

amihay found this great link
http://blog.foundationdb.com/7-things-that-make-google-f1-and-the-foundationdb-sql-layer-so-strikingly-similar

From: iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: mckaydim@xxxxxxxxxxx
CC: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Top DBA needed in San Jose, CA
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 07:16:59 -0700

re: Is anyone actually aware of any companies who are sharding in Oracle (as
the spec mentions)?
Oracle does not have inbuilt support for sharding. So if you believe in
sharding, you have to do it yourself. eBay was one of the pioneers of
do-it-yourself sharding which explains why it is mentioned in the job spec.
eBay's approach is public knowledge due to the presentations of Randy Shoup,
one of the architects of the approach.
<shameless plug>For more interesting reading, check my ODTUG paper "NoSQL and
Big Data for the Oracle professional" written from a relational-centric point
of view. See
http://iggyfernandez.wordpress.com/2014/06/28/nosql-and-big-data-for-the-oracle-professional/.
 As you will see in the paper, I appreciate the strengths of the new paradigm,
disagree with the conclusion that relational cannot scale, and believe that SQL
needs a lot of improvement and that the relational camp made fundamental
mistakes over the years.</shameless plug>
If you don't have the energy to read a 30 page paper (15 pages excluding the
code demonstrations), here's a short explanation of sharding.
Sharding means:
(1) equi-partitioning of a hierarchical schema on a common key (think
multi-level reference partitioning or composite keys in which every table in
the hierarchy includes the PK of its parent). The trivial case is a single
table.
(2) distribution of these equi-partitions on independent databases
(3) replication of the equi-partitions for reliability. the replication is
aysnchronous which is what "eventual consistency" is all about. also support
for movement of equi-partitions when new servers are added for extra througput.
(3) application support to hit the right partition (Oracle 7 partitioned views
is an option if you don't mind an extra hop)
Why would anybody consider sharding: One of the new paradigm is "functional
decomposition" in which the monolithic enterprise schema is split into small
services (each of which is a single table or a hierarchy of tables). This
avoids a single point of failure and permits sharding which is the newly
popular technique for scaling and reliability. Another new paradigm is
key-value access where the "value" can be a document i.e. a collapsed version
of all the data relating to a single ancestor in the hierarchical schema.
On the subject of whether relational can scale, also read the Google F1 paper
published late last year. Here are some great quotes from that paper.
http://research.google.com/pubs/pub41344.html
In recent years, conventional wisdom in the engineeringcommunity has been that
if you need a highly scalable, high-throughput data store, the only viable
option is to use aNoSQL key/value store, and to work around the lack ofACID
transactional guarantees and the lack of convenienceslike secondary indexes,
SQL, and so on. When we soughta replacement for Google's MySQL data store for
the Ad-Words product, that option was simply not feasible: thecomplexity of
dealing with a non-ACID data store in ev-ery part of our business logic would
be too great, and therewas simply no way our business could function without
SQLqueries. Instead of going NoSQL, we built F1, a distributedrelational
database system that combines high availability,the throughput and scalability
of NoSQL systems, and thefunctionality, usability and consistency of
traditional re-lational databases, including ACID transactions and
SQLqueries.Google's core AdWords business is now running com-pletely on F1. F1
provides the SQL database functionalitythat our developers are used to and our
business requires.Unlike our MySQL solution, F1 is trivial to scale up bysimply
adding machines.

From: mckaydim@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: agonenil@xxxxxxxxx; jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
CC: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 13:44:16 +0000

Is anyone actually aware of any companies who are sharding in Oracle (as the
spec mentions)?

Regards,

Mike