RE: Tool recommendation

  • From: Kellyn Pedersen <kjped1313@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, cruepprich@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 14:35:44 -0700 (PDT)

I second Christoph-  I use this same version of PL/SQL Developer and have
adopted it as my favorite.  It can be configured to leave a much lighter
footprint on the data dictionary than some of the heavier featured tools, too,
especially if you have numerous developers and DBA's all utilizing a GUI to
work all day...

Less raved about, especially with Grid Control's OEM, is the stand alone OEM
from Oracle that came with 10g.  I've got a few developers and DBA's that have
this as a second GUI window into the database-  especially when I have someone
come to me, frustrated that no one has installed an agent on a brand new
development database, I can steer them towards this to give me some breathing
space.  Just install it as part of the 10g client install and it will give them
a quick window into sessions, long ops, configurations and a light weight
tool.  Nicest part is that it's Java, so if you have a problem, just kill it
from your task manager, it could care less!

Kellyn Pedersen
Sr. Database Administrator
I-Behavior Inc.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/kellynpedersen
www.dbakevlar.blogspot.com

"Go away before I replace you with a very small and efficient shell script..."