RE: To use SAME or NOT for High End Storage Setup ? .... Stripe Unit Size 32 MB Vs. 64 KB ?

  • From: Joseph Amalraj <joseph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 07:24:19 -0700 (PDT)

In a similar setup (but with only 4 LUNs) with I had tested different stripe
sizes and found 8MB stripe size give the best performance. I had tested 1MB,
2MB, 4 MB, 8 MB, 16 MB stripe sizes.

  regards

  joseph

VIVEK_SHARMA <VIVEK_SHARMA@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
                Folks

  1) IBM is recommending SAME (Stripe across all the 46 LUNs) + 2 separate LUNs
for online redo logfiles

  2) IBM is recommending 32 MB Stripe Unit size across the 46 LUNs using Volume
Manager.
  NOTE â?? Each underlying LUN has 8 Disks (Hardware Raid 1+0 with Stripe Unit
Size 64 KB â?? This is NOT changeable)
  Qs. Any feedback on impact of 32 MB Stripe Unit Size(across LUNs) on
Performance of OLTP / Batch Transactions?

  For now we are also considering doing a Comparative benchmark of Performance
of 32 MB versus 64 KB Stripe Unit sizes across the 46 LUNs.
  NOTE â?? We may NOT be able to do an exhaustive comparison. Hence any similar
experiences would help very much.

  NOTE â?? In a previous VERY Small benchmark on a few CPUs machine & a Very
Small Storage Box having just a Few Disks with single Software Striping(NO
Hardware Striping) , Performance of our Applicationâ??s Batch Runs was VERY
POOR for Stripe Unit Sizes of  512 KB, 1 MB, 2 MB. Performance was Good for
Stripe unit Sizes of 64 KB & 128 KB.

  Layout:-
  DB Server connects to -> 16 FC Controllers -> SAN Switch -> 18 FC controllers
-> DS8300 Storage Box
  Filesystem = JFS2
  1 DB Server - P595 model - 64 CPUs
  2 APP Server - P595 model â?? Each having 64 CPUs
  NOTE â?? At a time Only 1 of OLTP or bath runs will happen

  Thanks indeed