RE: To ASM or Not to ASM

  • From: "Kevin Closson" <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l" <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 10:52:16 -0700

        We have one fairly mission critical DB running on ASM, size
about 200GB (not too big) and we need to be able to hit somewhere in the
neighborhood of about 5K IOPS of mixed read/write (including redo),
which we're able to do quite easily with ASM managing, I think, 26 x 15K
disks.  I've been pretty pleased.

~192 Iops per spindle is awefully good, but that would likely be more
a reflection of the fact that you are only using some ~33GB per spindle
than an attribution to ASM... in fact, ASM does not change the IO
code path at all..the Oracle skgf* routines are what they are. Once
and ASM file is open, shadow and foreground processes simply position
and read or write.... ASM doesn't change that

Kevin Closson
Chief Architect, Database Solutions
PolyServe