RE: Tivoli and Rman issue

  • From: "Vishal Gupta" <vishal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jack@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 13:26:09 +0100

Jack,

We were recently having major headaches with following error message from TSM
since our TDP client and server upgrade.
ANS1309I (RC9) The requested data is offline.

On TSM server we have a disk cache enabled. And storage pool is set to 2GB,
which means all files <2GB go to TSM server disk first. And then TSM moves them
to tape in background. So we have set the MAXPIEICE size to 2GB in RMAN
configuration. This avoids the need to use tape head for every backup.

We backup database/archivelogs to local server disk using RMAN. Then using RMAN
itself transfer these backupsets from disk to TSM server via TDP.  Normally TDP
modifies the rman backuppiece header and places some header inforornation to
it. But since the TDPO client upgrade to 5.2.2, tdp has started putting more
data in backuppiece header. So it breaching 2GB limit when it goes to TSM.

We had raised an case with IBM and sent TDP and TSM traces to IBM, it was down
to TSM not closing a handle on disk and opening handle on tape etc.

Ultimately solutions was either to reduce the maxsize of backuppiece. Or
increase the 2GB threshold on TSM server. So that TDP does not artificially
increase backuppiece size beyond TSM server threshold.

Regards,
Vishal Gupta
http://www.vishalgupta.com