Re: Timesten Vs. Oracle - Performance

  • From: "Nuno Souto" <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 23:06:43 +1100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anjo Kolk" <anjo@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> MySQL, I am not kidding

Hehehe!  You're not wrong...

> Justin Cave wrote
> If you have a small, read-only or read-mostly database where you can
> afford to lose updates, an in-memory database is probably ideal.
> Otherwise, stick with the traditional database.

If you have a small, read-only or read-mostly(WTF???) database where you
can afford to lose updates, you have rocks in your head if you use
a database!

The proper structure was invented over 50 years ago and it's called an
array.  OK, let's forward the clock a few years and call it a stack.

A database?  You gotta be joking...

> TimesTen is supposed to guarantee no loss of data under certain
> configurations.

I hate these open "certain configurations" statements.
Always reminds me of "if I had two heads I could eat twice as fast,
think twice as fast and make the same errors twice as fast"...

> However that is balanced by the requirement to have 2
> copies running and the probability of having to load a backup copy and
> then apply the journal.

Yaba-dahba-doo!  Regular as clockwork: good old mirroring.  No clue
whatsoever...

Cheers
Nuno Souto
in sunny Sydney, Australia