RE: Timestamp vs. Date Datatype

  • From: "Christian Antognini" <Christian.Antognini@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tracy.rahmlow@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 16:48:08 +0200

Hi Tracy

>Why did Oracle introduce the timestamp datatype vs.
>enhancing the date datatype's precision?

Probably because DATE isn't implemented according to the SQL standard.
Therefore they decided to implement TIMESTAMP according to it (including the
time zone components as well).

>Is everyone migrating to the timestamp datatype?

IMHO it makes no sense.

In addition there is the following incompatibility issue:
- when two DATEs are subtracted, a NUMBER is returned
- when two TIMESTAMPs are subtracteds an INTERVAL is returned

>Why would anyone want to use the date datatype anymore?

For new systems I see no problem using only TIMESTAMP. If the fractional
seconds are not needed TIMESTAMP(0) can be used.

HTH
Chris

New Features Oracle Database 10g Release 2 seminars @ www.trivadis.com
Italiano: Lugano (24-Nov)
Français: Genève (17-Nov)
Deutsch: Hamburg (13-Oct), München (20-Oct), Basel (25-Oct), Frankfurt
(27-Oct),
         Bern (8-Nov), Düsseldorf (23-Nov), Zürich (29-Nov), Stuttgart (13-Dec)