Re: TimesTen, anyone ?

  • From: Zoran Martic <zoran_martic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:08:02 -0700 (PDT)

I used it for some time.

It is very solid database product that Oracle would
probably not buy without reasons behind.

The main purpose of TT database was to do simple
database operations very fast and it is doing them
while trading some functionality.

Our usage was to do fast reference lookups (SELECT) on
the reference data while dealing with billions of
transactions (events) per day.

Oracle limits are a few thousands of lookups (SELECT)
or other SQL statements per second.
TT can do 6 times more if you are using direct mode
(shared memory directly attached - similar what
Precise is doing to monitor Oracle instead of using
the data dictionary) and using C API.

That is what I know personally and I tested it myself.
I dedicated a big chunk of my time understanding TT in
respect to Oracle.

It has some features (as some other db's) that Oracle
is implementing now in 10gR2, like asyncronious
commit, ... meaning that Oracle looked the competition
and what is causing Oracle to be slower in simple
operations then Berkley or other simple databases.

Also TT is SQL based database, parsing of SQL and so
on, but it is still faster then Oracle not only
because of the networking but also because of less
robust code layers.

DML is also a few times faster if disk I/O is not hit
hardly because of (durable) commits (do not expect to
test it with durable commit's and be faster then
Oracle :)

Also TT has caching mechanism with Oracle tables, so
it refreshes the TT table from Oracle or passes DML to
Oracle. More combinations are available of course.

This piece is what Oracle is lacking, the client side
cache database is now in their hands. It will be
interesting to see, is Oracle only going to learn
something from this and kill TT or will continue to do
developing as Oracle Light :)

Regards,
Zoran

http://mail.yahoo.com