Re: Time taken to drop a schema

  • From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lambu999@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 09:59:17 +0200

Ram,

    DROP USER CASCADE always takes a lot of time, I suspect that the
checking of constraints wasn't very well coded in the first place, and
as it's obviously not a major feature that customers use very often,
they have never fixed it. I have always found that:
1) Querying the data dictionary to generate DROP statements for all FK
constraints and running them
2) Generating DROP statements for all the objects that aren't
automatically dropped when another one is dropped (no need to bother
about indexes, triggers, etc.) and running them
3) running DROP USER on the empty schema
is usually much faster.

HTH

S Faroult