Re: Thoughts on comments

  • From: Gints Plivna <gints.plivna@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: zimsbait@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 09:47:36 +0200

For all systems we are developing we use comments. Both in Oracle and SQL
Server (the syntax is different, but idea is the same). MySQL also allows
comments, don't know about other DBMSes. It really helps also for me. I'm
more like system analyst, so I'm not creating tables , although time after
time I'm writing more complex procedures both in SQL Server and Oracle and
then it is very useful to look into comments.
Desc in SQLPlus doesn't show comments, although in various GUI tools for
example pl/sql developer both desc in command window and describe as
submenu for a table shows comments.
Usually in such cases when it is not critical to everyday work, it is
normal to introduce new methods for new things. So you can add comments for
all new created tables. Usually it is hard to justify expenses on existing
working systems, but it is much easier to add just 5-10 minutes for
development of each new table.

Gints