Re: Thoughts on Parallelization

  • From: "Don Seiler" <don@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Dennis Williams" <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 20:13:40 -0500

It's a bit of a hybrid system.  OLTP throughout the day, as well as
having large amounts of data bulk-loaded throughout the day, after
which that bulk-loaded data is read-only.

One of the reasons I started down this path was when I saw ad-hoc
queries from some marketing/sales guy firing off parallel queries.
That's when I though Doug's approach sounded pretty good.  Cut off all
default parallel usage, and those applications that want to use
parallel can supply a query hint.

However I can't say that the parallel queries were really causing any
performance problem.  Of course, my current parallel_max_servers is 8,
and the formula would indicate that it should be 80.

Don.

On 5/15/07, Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Don,

The other thing you haven't mentioned is what your database workload is
like. For example, if it is an OLTP system, you don't want a parallel
process to max out the machine, but force all your other users to wait. On
the other hand, for a DSS system, that may work just fine - the big query
may be the one the boss needs and usage is pretty sporadic anyway.

Dennis Williams

--
Don Seiler
oracle blog: http://ora.seiler.us