Re: Thoughts on Linux, Oracle, and VLM

  • From: Tim Hall <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jkstill@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 08:59:42 +0100

I agree with Jared, that it depends on a number of factors, including
the number of connections to the database. On a server with a single
Oracle instance (and no other software running) I usually suggest a
starting point of 70-80% of physical memory being allocated to the
instance. From that point on you have to monitor and adjust
accordingly until you hit your sweet spot. The aim being to allocate
the maximum memory possible without going into swap.

Call me lazy, but I think it is a bit pointless trying to predict the
exact settings, since you will invariably miss something out of your
calculation, or estimate elements badly. Far better to pick a general
starting point then monitor-adjust-repeat until you get it right.

Size does figure in the equation though. In the same way you
proportionately reduce % swap size as memory grows, you can also
reduce the percentage of unallocated memory since 10% of 1TB is much
bigger than 50% of 1G. :)

Cheers

Tim...