Re: Thank you Oracle Support - cursor_sharing = similiar is deprecated!

  • From: Ram Raman <veeeraman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 13:44:53 -0600

Thanks for the pointer Carol.

I was reading up on the ML note and I saw this:  "This parameter is
generally overly restrictive in what it actually allows to be shared.
SIMILAR tells oracle to try and share cursors by replacing all literals with
binds for legacy applications, but directs that sharing only be performed
when all the replaced literal values were exactly the same (in the case of
predicates referencing columns with histograms or using inequality operators
such as BETWEEN, <, and !=) "

I am confused by what "but directs that sharing only be performed when all
the replaced literal values were exactly the same" means. I thought SIMILAR
would make Oracle use the already existing plan without having to reparse in
case of **different** literal values. Is that the right understanding of
'sharing of the cursor' ? If sharing is performed only when replaced literal
values are the exactly same, wouldnt that make it EXACT and not SIMILAR?

Thanks.