Test of 8.1.7.4->10gr2 upgrade, platform important?

  • From: Bjørn Dörr Jensen <B.D.Jensen@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:29:33 +0100

Hello out there!
I suppose that it's very important to test an upgrade in an environment similar to production.
Lets say production environment is AIX, database-size about 100Gb.
Can I (=is it meaningfull) to test upgrade in windows-environment when production is AIX?
I guess that you perhaps get problems you not will get in production: spending time on irrelevant problems
I guess that I'll not see the relevant problems in test.

Are I'm correct? Is it really a problem, even if both platforms are certified for Oracle?
Any experience/links, best/worst practices?
What path to use - migrate or exp/imp?

Greetings Bjoern