Test Refresh Strategies

  • From: Paula Stankus <paulastankus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 08:08:12 -0800 (PST)

Guys,

  We are running a test database in Oracle, version 8.1.7 on Solaris 2.9.

  We have a good deal of data in test and frequently refresh various schemas
(but on different schedules) with a large volume of data.  We often refresh the
schemas during the data.  For this reason (to speed up the refreshes while
keeping the test database and other schemas available during the day) we do NOT
use archivelog on our test database.  We run cold backups and exports at night.
 Unfortunately, our cold backups are starting to take a great deal of time
because of the volume of data.

  Any suggestions to provide the following on an 8.1.7 database?:

-optimum up-time 24x7
  -flexibility to load large volumes of data during the day using imports as
well as CTAS quickly with minimal I/O
  -doing backups for easiest and fastest recovery

  Thanks for your advice.
  Paula