RE: Terabytes on a SAN - need info

  • From: "Slava Zayarny" <Slava.Zayarny@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 08:27:04 -0500

Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 11:31:48 -0500
From: "Kristen Cameron" <cameronkgd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Terabytes on a SAN - need info

In the next few months, I'm going to be asked to set up an Oracle
database (probably 9i, maybe 10g) using a SAN for storage.  The database
will contain 4-8 terabytes of spatial data (orthorectified air photos,
Landsat etc.).  We don't use Oracle spatial, we use ESRI's ArcSDE.  We
have a smaller geodatabase (250 Gb) already in place.

I don't know anything about the SAN hardware, but Oracle will reside on
a Windows 2003 server.  This may also be the database that finally
convinces me to use RMAN!

Because this is so new, it is difficult to assess future usage.  I
expect the number of users on our internal network to be in the 10-20
range.  However, we will be offering this data for viewing over the
Internet.  I would guess we will have several hundred users, potentially
thousands, but not likely tens of thousands.

I know nothing about SANs, and can't seem to find a beginner's guide on
the Internet.  I've found lots of vendor information, but I need
something a bit more introductory before I can make sense of that.

If anyone can point me to information on setting up large Oracle
databases on a SAN, I'd be grateful.  If you have any experience with
large spatial databases, contact me offline.

Thanks!

Kristen Cameron
Information Management Group
Indian and Northern Affairs Canada
Yellowknife, NT  X1A 2R3  (867)669-2536

Kristen,

take a look at James Morle's "Sane SAN" paper as a start:

http://www.miracleas.dk/events/DBF2001/Morle/Sane_SAN_WP.pdf

Also, O'Reilly press has a book out called "Using SANs and NAS":

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/sansnas/

Cheers,

Slava Zayarny
Oracle DBA