RE: Terabytes of archived redo logs

  • From: JApplewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 09:11:21 -0500

Here's a, perhaps, wild, thought.  Could you establish Physical Standby
databases on (an)other server(s)?  Then you could let your Prod datbases
automatically shovel the archived redo logs to them, periodically remove
them from the Prod environment as you see they've been transferred to the
Standbys.  You could also gzip them on the Standby side to further save
space.  Gzip is such a CPU hog that I'd not want it running on the Prod
server.

You'd also get disaster recovery databases in the process.  Just a
thought.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator
Austin (Texas) Independent School District
512.414.9715 (wk)  /  512.935.5929 (pager)

 Same-Day Stump Grinding!  Senior Discounts!
         -- Mike's Tree Service

"Mercadante, Thomas F \(LABOR\)" <Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
05/03/2007 07:36 AM
Please respond to
Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<avramil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: Terabytes of archived redo logs

Lou,

Although this is a challenge, this problem is really no different than
any other database in production.  It's just a matter of scale.

You need enough free disk space to hold, let's say, two days worth of
archivelog files.  And you also need a fast enough tape backup system so
that you can run backups, say, every two hours to keep the archivelog
files moving off of the system.

That's the theory.  Enough free disk in case you have problems with
backups and scheduled backups to keep the disk clear.

That's what I would do.

Tom