RE: Temp segment Pctincrease 1

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 01:59:43 -0400

On the grounds that 1) overloading pctincrease as a signal to automated
coalescence is one of the greatest errors ever made in Oracle's
implementation history (second only to equating the zero length string and
NULL in my opinion); 2) Coalescence of temp is a bad idea, since it should
be configured uniformly so that complete free space fragmentation is the
fastest way to give segments to sessions; 3) Yas outta be using one of the
newer types of temporary tablespace storage, rather than answering your
question I'll urge you to change your strategy.

In the case of an existing temp that is all messed up, make a good new one,
alter everyone using the bad on to use the new one, and just get rid of that
bad one.

mwf