RE: Temp Tablespace Group, Adding Tempfile and Resumable Transaction Issue?

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kjped1313@xxxxxxxxx>, "'oracle Freelists'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 13:41:08 -0500

I haven't seen this before, but it looks suspicious that:

Wed Jan  6 06:55:15 2010
alter tablespace temp_sample2 add tempfile
'/r07/oradata/martb/temp_sample2_06.dbf' size 10000M autoextend on next 5M
maxsize 51200M
Wed Jan  6 06:55:43 2010
Completed: alter tablespace temp_sample2 add tempfile
'/r07/oradata/martb/temp_sample2_06.dbf' size 10000M autoextend on next 5M
maxsize 51200M

took 28 seconds (seems reasonable), while

Wed Jan  6 06:56:21 2010
alter tablespace temp_sample3 add tempfile
'/r07/oradata/martb/temp_sample3_06.dbf' size 10000M autoextend on next 5M
maxsize 51200M
Wed Jan  6 06:56:21 2010
Completed: alter tablespace temp_sample3 add tempfile
'/r07/oradata/martb/temp_sample3_06.dbf' size 10000M autoextend on next 5M
maxsize 51200M
Wed Jan  6 06:56:21 2010
statement in resumable session 'User DM_OWNER(194), Session 771, Instance 1'
was aborted

all took place in the same second. While I can't prove it, it seems like a
timing error of announcing the availability of the file before it's actually
ready. (meaning a bug in Oracle.) In the meantime between now and figuring
out whether this is really a bug and if Oracle can fix it for your release,
I'm guessing the workaround to raise the maxsize of the last existing
tablespace file of each file in the group enough to give breathing room
while you add the other files would work. Of course you've probably got
standard sizes that this would screw up, but you could fix that at your next
maint. window with little hassle since it is temp. It would also probably
work to just raise the maxsize if you have room on the device and add files
later.

Good luck. I'm all ears if anyone knows all about this. I'm also guessing
this is not trivial to reproduce on demand.

mwf