RE: Tablespace growing like anything and free blocks not reutilized.

  • From: "Powell, Mark" <mark.powell2@xxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 17:02:48 +0000

Direct loads take their blocks from above the HWM so unless you truncate first
you are not going to get space reuse.

There have been numerous bugs related to ASSM space reuse and you may also be
hitting one of them as mentioned, but direct loads alone could be causing your
issue.

LOB space reuse via transactions is also known to be poor.  The new versions of
LOB called Secure Files in 11g is supposed to improve LOB space usage.

Being that you are in test truncating before reloading should be an option
though if you have to reload after only partial deletes you should switch the
sqlldr jobs to using conventional loads.  There may be a load performance cost.