RE: Tablespace

  • From: "Michael Fontana" <mfontana@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:30:22 -0500

I cannot recommend "alter table....move tablespace" in a production
environment without first testing it's impact and considering all
dependencies.

Indexes and references will brake as a result of it's use.  These must
be rebuilt and/or recreated.  You must also reanalyze the moved table
and it's indexes in a cost-based optimization environment, as these will
be lost as a result of the move.  Keep in mind that this analysis could
take awhile when a large table is involved, and that performance may
suffer while it is running.

Finally, if the table size has changed significantly since the last time
it was analyzed, the new statistics may result in different query plans
resulting in different and sometimes unpleasant performance anamolies.

Also consider that if you have third party software, be sure that any
scripts or processes it runs may be impacted by this change.  We moved a
Peoplesoft tablespace three times, only to have a particular process
relocate it (and reallocate it's size improperly).

Just some things to consider which are not immediately obvious from
reading the manuals.

Michael Fontana
Sr. DBA
NTT/Verio