Re: Table compression experience?

  • From: brian.s.wisniewski@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: joel.wittenmyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 09:54:18 -0400

Joel, did you research it enough to find any bug #'s on this issue?  I've
done some basic testing with it and haven't run into this issue but I'd
rather not with production either.  But we're moving to 10.2.0.4.

Thanks.

Brian

We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we
created them.
Albert Einstein

Joel Wittenmyer <joel.wittenmyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
07/23/2008 11:31 PM
Please respond to
joel.wittenmyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ben.Wittmeier@xxxxxxxxx
cc
oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject
Re: Table compression experience?

I had a client with a Data Warehouse that used it on 10.2.0.3 with
disastrous results.  They used Microstrategy as a front end.  Data was
occasionally and repeatably corrupted for no conceivable reason.  Oracle
could not explain it.  When we rebuilt the tables without compression
the corruption disappeared.  Rebuild it again with compressin and voila,
corruption.  This issue alone delayed migration to a new platform for a
newly merged, national conglomerate for months.  I talked the merged IT
department into going with Oracle instead of DB2 (an easy task) and we
all (Oracle proponents) ended up with a black eye for our trouble.  I am
no longer with the company that supported that client as a result of
their moral turpitude (nothing to do with this issue) so I don't know
how / if they eventually resolved it.

Joel Wittenmyer
(Interesting last name Ben :) )

_http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/bi/db/10g/pdf/twp_data_compression_10gr2_0505.pdf_

> Any of you guys have any warnings on its use?
> Thanks,
> Ben

> the system manager. This message contains confidential information and
> is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named
> addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.

and affiliates.

copy format. Thank you.

disclosures relating to UK legal entities.