Re: Table Locks Adding Foreign Keys

  • From: Connor McDonald <hamcdc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 02:09:25 +0100 (BST)

Add as "novalidate"  (which is a brief lock)
Then "validate" (which does the scanning part but does not lock the table)

hth
connor

 --- todd.sheetz@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> This probably has a very easy answer, but I can't seem to find it.  I have
> a 260 million row table that I need to add a foreign key constraint to
> that references another table with 30 million rows.  Will adding the
> constraint cause any locking during the time the constraint is being
> validated?  This is a vendor application and they are telling us that we
> can run this while users are in the system.  I have some doubt about
> whether this would place at least a share lock on the table.
> Any information is appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Todd
>

> --
> //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l

=====
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions"
ISBN: 1590592174

web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald@xxxxxxxxx

Coming Soon! "Oracle Insight - Tales of the OakTable"

"GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But TEACH him how to fish,
and...he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"

Messenger - all new features - even more fun!  http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com