RE: TOAD Xpert privileges

  • From: "Aponte, Tony" <AponteT@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:51:11 -0400

>Tony - So you are saying that I need to create a schema with these =
extensive
>privileges but somehow I don't have to give that password to the =
developers?
>Is there a way to reduce the privileges after object installation?
>   You say that you've found TOAD pretty safe. I would be much =
comforted if
>you said you found TOAD Xpert to be safe.
>   Thanks for your input.

Maybe a little clarity on the features and whom they are intended for =
would help.  TOAD Expert for PL/SQL is very safe to deploy for =
developers.  TOAD Expert for DB Administration is just as safe as any =
other tool that facilitates DBA tasks (script repository, help text, =
automated collections, etc.)  We install and use the DBA stuff but not =
grant privileges to the developers.  For our developers job simple TOAD =
is adequate and we've bough PL/SQL Expert because we believe that it =
promotes consistency in their code.  The DBAs already have the =
privileges to use DB Expert so security remains the same as it is =
without the TOAD objects and privs.

HTH
Tony Aponte
Home Shopping network