RE: TNSNAMES.ORA QUEUESIZE?

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 13:54:49 -0600 (CST)

Hey Larry,

> Guess I wasn't clear.  Got a half dozen replies on how to use it in listener
> .ora

Sorry!  That's what I get for replying to a reply...  :(

Curiosity got the best of me, so I did some testing (using 10.1.0.5 client
against same DB version).  I added a connection to my local TNSNAMES.ORA
file:

OTNSTEST=
  (DESCRIPTION=
    (ADDRESS=
      (PROTOCOL=TCP)
      (HOST=192.168.101.101)
      (PORT=1521)
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA=
      (SERVICE=mytestdb)
    )
  )

tnsping and connections work fine, as expected.  Now we add:

        (QUEUESIZE=32)

...immediately following the PORT spec.  Again, tnsping and connections work
fine.  tnsping even shows the QUEUESIZE that was specified.  Hmmm....let's
get creative.  I added this line after the errant QUEUESIZE:

        (SB_XLV_WINNER=GBP)

Whatdya know?  It worked!  Starting up a client-side trace via SQLNET.ORA, I
see the entries there, but they do not show up on the server listener's log.

I can glean from this overly-quaint test that unknown parameters are
ignored.  It could also cause the listener to crash for all I know.  But
this exercise suggests that the errant specs are most likely just silently
ignored.

You can certainly repeat this exercise to see for yourself, perhaps
expanding on the tracing, especially on the server side to determine exactly
what's happening and/or not happening.

Enjoy!

Rich